This past fall, specifically at the end of September and all of October, marked a very high time for receiving cabbage in our CSA shares. For awhile, there were two gigantic green cabbage heads waiting to be picked up and schlepped home. And even when there was just one, it always surprised me how big it was and how long it could take to eat it and use it up.
Now, just to explain, I really like cabbage and appreciate it’s fibrous and crunchy qualities– but I was never used to buying cabbage in this poundage before in my routine trips to the grocery. Like in any CSA share, though, a member is never forced to take any vegetables that they don’t like or can’t use, so I clearly didn’t have to take it (sometimes I would just take half), but mostly I saw cabbage as a challenge.
How could eat I prepare cabbage on a regular basis without completely losing interest?
Below are some ways I incorporated cabbage into my often daily menu for awhile. Although the ideas aren’t that creative, maybe you’ll feel more inspired to include the cruciferous vegetable more often into your cooking.
- Finely chop and make a big cabbage salad with toasted sunflower seeds and crumbled Feta cheese.
- Shred and serve atop tacos or any Mexican fare.
- Coursely chop and add to soups (in the same way that spinach, kale or other greens are added in near the end).
- Mix in with other sturdy greens in a salad.
- Saute with sesame oil and add to fried rice or an omelet.
- Layer leaves of cabbage like a lasagna with cooked rice, cheese and herbs as the filling. Cover and bake at 350 for 30 minutes and serve alongside roasted chicken.
- Make stuffed cabbage leaves (there are tons of recipes for this).
- Make slaw. You can add shredded fruit, like apples and Asian pears, too.
- Shred it and simmer on the stove with chopped tomatoes and green chili peppers.
- Kimchi is always a good option, and you can use any kind of cabbage. Caroline has a great recipe in The Soup Club Cookbook.
We would love to hear what ways you like to eat cabbage. Please inspire us and share below!