// Heat the oil in the stockpot and add the onions, garlic, and mixed greens. Sprinkle with the salt and saute until the vegetables are slightly wilted, about 10 minutes.
// Add the beans, tomatoes, broth, Parmesan rind, carrots, and butternut squash and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until the vegetables are tender but still firm.
// Add zucchini and yellow squash and cook, loosely covered, for 10 minutes, or until all vegetables are tender. If the soup is too thick, add more broth or water.
// Before ladling the soup into jars, fish out and discard the gooey cheese rinds. Season with salt and pepper.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 bunches mixed greens (Swiss chard, mustard greens, and/or kale) finely chopped with stalk ends trimmed (about 15 cups)
- 1 tablespoom salt, plus more to taste
- 3 15.5-ounce cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 28-ounce cans diced tomatoes, with their juice
- 3 quarts vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 8 inches Parmesan rinds
- 1 pound carrots, diced
- 1 medium butternut squash, about 3 lbs, peeled, seeded and diced
- 3 medium zucchini, diced
- 3 medium yellow summer squash, diced
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 demi-baguettes
- 2 cups chopped fresh herbs (flat-leafed parsley and oregano or whatever is in season)
- 1/2 lb Parmigiano-Reggiano or Romano cheese
- 2 cups pesto (made with kale and parsley)